Feeling Forgetful

Blonde Moment

Blonde Moment

Have you ever have a blonde moment that just doesn’t seem to end? Or have you had the feeling like your mind just blanks out on you and you can’t remember what you were just thinking or what you had to do? Welcome to what my life has been like for the past week. I feel like Dory from “Finding Nemo.”

Dory and Marlin

Dory and Marlin

Remember in the movie when Marlin first met Dory? He had lost Nemo to a diver and was swimming like crazy to find the boat that took him away. So when Marlin ran in to Dory, it went something like this:

MARLIN: No, no. They took him away. I have to find the boat.

DORY: Hey, I’ve seen a boat!

MARLIN: You have?!

DORY: It passed by not too long ago.

MARLIN: A white one?

DORY: Hi :] I’m Dory.

MARLIN: Where!? Which way!?

DORY: Oh, oh, oh! It went, umm… This way! It went this way! Follow me!

MARLIN: Thank you! Thank you, thank you so much!

DORY: No problem.

Dory "You Gotta Problem Buddy?"

Dory "You Gotta Problem Buddy?"

Of course, Marlin thought he would find the boat and get his son back with Dory’s help, but then, after maybe thirty seconds of Dory swimming and Marlin close behind…

MARLIN: Hey! Wait!

DORY: Will you quit it?

MARLIN: What?

DORY: I’m trying to swim here. What, ocean ain’t big enough for you?

MARLIN: Huh?

DORY: You got a problem, buddy? Huh? Huh? Do ‘ya? Do ‘ya? Do ‘ya? You want a piece of me? Yeah, oooh, I’m scared now. Whaat!?

MARLIN: Wait a minute…

DORY: Stop following me, okay!?

MARLIN: What?! You’re showing me which way the boat went!

DORY: A boat? Hey, I’ve seen a boat. It passed by not too long ago. It went this way, it went this way. Follow me!

Now wait just a minute – what in the world happened here? As many of you know, Dory has short–term memory loss, which means that she forgets new information very quickly. Well, lately, I have been pretty forgetful, too. I don’t have short–term memory loss, but rather, I’m overwhelmed. There seems to be so much going on right now that I just can’t seem to get a good handle on it.

To Do List

To Do List

In order to get myself back on track, I have decided to make “To-Do” lists for myself in all areas necessary: work, home, and even here at school. And I’m not making little mental notes of things I need to do and I don’t type them out and leave them in my notes on my phone. Oh no – I have physically hand written lists of ALL the things I need to do and have placed them in areas I know I will get to at least twice on a daily basis.

Since I work in a retail store, the job and little duties that need to be done can become very routine and monotonous – take out the trash, put “go–backs” away, organize bins and baskets with merchandise, clean up the registers, etc. Here, not only have I made myself a list of things that need to be done throughout a shift, but I have also made one for my co-workers to use as well. Every hour or after a big rush of customers, my co-workers and I go through the list. If there are two or three of us working in the same department, we can quickly and efficiently check off activities listed.

My school–work has, thankfully, shrunk significantly throughout the quarter but there are still things I need to check off my list. In order to get everything completed, I have made a list of all the last–minute projects, presentations, and papers that need to be done and have put them in chronological order. From here, I can see what my biggest priorities are and also how much time I have to complete them.

As far as my “To – Do” list at home goes, it’s all mainly chores that everyone needs to do from time to time: do the laundry, clean the dishes, vacuum, put clothes away, and so on. Even though I already know what needs to be done, and there is no specific due date for them to be completed, I have put them in a list form just because it feels good to have crossed off everything and have one less list of things to worry about.

Patrick's To Do List - Spongebob

Patrick's To Do List - Spongebob

Have you ever been forgetful and felt like Dory too? Do you make “To–Do” lists too? What else do you do to get yourself back on track?